Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lemon dressing and more...

Finding a healthy dressing is all but impossible, with ingredients like sugar, high fructose corn syrup and oils high in saturated fats, or even worse, soy in EVERYTHING, dressings top the list for unhealthy "health" foods.  You make yourself a great healthy salad full of fantastic vegetables and then top it off with that nasty stuff from the grocery store....why?  Because it's easy.  Well, I will give you easy AND healthy.  Make your own, it's easier than setting the table, and just as quick.  Before long you won't even think about it, you will just pour a few ingredients into a blender without measuring or worrying about what ingredients to use.  Even my 6 year old knows what goes into an easy dressing and has been creating new concoctions since he could decide what ingredients he likes and doesn't like.  His newest idea is to make a sunbutter dressing, and why not?  There are coconut peanut dressings, so our next creation will be just that, sunbutter coconut dressing!  Stay tuned (wink).

But for now, let's talk about lemons.  Lemon is probably one of my all-time favorite flavors...lemonade, lemon cookies, lemon bars, I add lemon to my kefir and to my chicken....and even better, they are AWESOME for you in so many ways.  Lemon is a liver detox, it will alkalize your PH, it is a blood purifier, a diuretic, relieves gallstones, reduces mucus, is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial, and because of it's high potassium levels, it can help control high blood pressure.  So needless to day, a little lemon in your diet goes a long way and I am about to share the easiest, tastiest lemon dressing with you right now.

You can pour this over salads, chicken, fish, all kinds of veggies, and you might catch me licking it off the spoon...over and over and over again. In fact, I just had a salad with it and can't seem to get enough of the remains off the plate, right now!

Since I tend to just eye-ball my dressings, these measurements are not exact.  Play around with what your taste buds prefer and write it down!

I use the Magic Bullet for my dressings, but any blender will work.  Add all ingredients below to your blender and blend:

-lemon juice and avocado oil (about 50/50, just a tad more oil than lemon)
-1 large clove of garlic to about 1/2 cup of the above ingredients
-1 Tbsp xylitol (or sweetener of choice, I like this because it's light)
-1-2 tsp dill
-a few twists of some fresh ground pepper

If you like it sweeter, add more xylitol to suit your taste.

You could make this recipe with any citrus: lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit or any combination, especially, if you juice your own!

No comments: