Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Our favorite raw dish so far - "pasta" alfredo

Tonight we made our first entree and all I have to say is OMG....I didn't know raw could be SO good!!  Of all things, pasta alfredo, with no pasta or dairy in sight!  I had no idea it could be so surprisingly good!  It even looked JUST like a pasta dish.  The kids gobbled it up and wanted more.  I could have eaten the entire bowl myself!  Ok enough babbling, here are pictures and the recipe.  I would say, if you are even considering raw, this should be your first recipe!!


- 4 small or 2 large zucchini
- Olive oil (we chose to use grapeseed oil)
- Fresh rosemarry and basil
- Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Hawaiian Mellow White Miso (I used gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 cups brazil nuts (we used a 1/4 of brazil and the rest cashew, because you CAN get too much selenium and we already supplement with it)
- 1 cup water
- Lemon
- Chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Sliced olives (optional)

Use a mandolin to create thin slices of "pasta" with the zucchini and then use the knife to cut "pasta noodles" then marinate with a squeeze of lemon, oil and sea salt.  (A trick to the noodle slicing is to pile pieces of the sliced zucchini and roll, then slice it) Let that sit while you prepare the sauce. 


In a blender combine: water, several squeezes of lemon, nuts, a few dashes of sea salt, miso, some finely chopped rosemary and blend until smooth. Adjust water and oil to desired consistency then pour over zucchini noodles and add chopped tomatoes, olives and a dash of olive oil and sea salt.

You'll notice that I didn't put any of the toppings on it.  To be honest, I totally forgot.  I was so engrossed in the amazingly yummy taste of the sauce, I completely forgot to do anything other than pour it over the zucchini and serve it!!  Well, of course, I stopped to take a picture too, he he he.  

And here are my kids enjoying it, thoroughly!




No comments: